I have lived in mya partment for 2 years. This past month…

Customer Question
I have lived in...

I have lived in mya partment for 2 years. This past month the leasing office gave me inof about renewing my lease.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Then came mandatory evaucuation due to hurricane irma. I live i Fort Myers FL where they expected a 6 - 9 ft storm surge and flooding. Ilost almost ervything because of cance 14 years ago so starting all over ith no furnitur and clothes is daunting.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Afte about 3 weeks in the shelter (no power in apt.) I was sent to the hospitaal with pnuemonia and a viral infection. Periodically I called leasing office and asked that they post messages tellin us what was going on. Naturally I was worried about losing what little I have.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Finally I go through to the office and told them I would be leaving the hospital but could they please get someone to clean out the smelly stinky freezer/refrigerato as I was sick. Now they refude to renew my lease as I guess I am "difficult". I am 83 but they have yet to tell me they are evicting me. I cananot pack up and inda place in 2 weeks time or whenever they feel it OK to let me know I am being evicted. What are my rights.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
10/4/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Are you under a fixed term lease or are you month to month?

.

When is your tenancy supposed to end?

.

Has the landlord given you any written notice to vacate?

.

.

thanks

Lease expire this month.When they entered my partment to clean the refrigerator they took the lease renewal for and a key to my neighbors apartmen.That tells me thaty do not intend to renew mmy lease.I went to the office last week after I got out of the hosital to see if I owed them ayhthing for cleaning the refrigerator. I told them I ned the renewl form. They have yet to provice it. They have not given me notive of any knd.

Ok, I hate to have to tell you this, but if they decide not to renew, when your lease expires, so does your right to remain there. They can then immediately file a formal eviction action in the local court to get a judgment and a writ that the sheriff will execute to force you to leave. However, this will likely take a month or longer due to the backlog of cases in the court system..

.

Although it is inconsiderate and unfair, they don't have to take your age or health concerns into account when deciding whether or not to extend your lease as this is purely a contract matter.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

.

.

.

.

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney