Can a civil lawyer from WY handle a criminal case. My son…

Customer Question
Can a civil lawyer...

Can a civil lawyer from WY handle a criminal case. My son got caught with possession of THC in Laramie WY. It was less than a gram and wasn't arrested. Would my attorney be able to handle this or do we need criminal.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Wyoming and last weekend

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes our friend who is civil and would 've declined if it was a large amount of marijuana, but being it was so small he thinks he would be appropriate

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Most Civil Attorneys can handle routine and minor criminal matters. There is no law that prohibits your Civil Attorney from helping you with this. It all depends on whether the attorney has the skill set to do so.

Since this matter deals with a small amount of THC and your son was not arrested your attorney should be able to a handle this. In most instances like this, when it is a first offense, you are looking at a deferred adjudication or a pretrial diversion program where the defendant serves probation and after that the charges are dismissed.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald