I bought a pinball machine, pool table and a video arcade…

Customer Question
I bought a pinball...

I bought a pinball machine, pool table and a video arcade game about 2 months ago. The company I bought it from from delivered and installed the pool table and video arcade game. They told me the pinball machine was "broken". I waited a week and told them I didn't want the pinball machine would you just refund my money. They said yes. I waited about 6 weeks and never received my check. My wife and I called 2 times looking for our refund (we left messages on their answering machine. I finally went in to find out about my refund. I was told "the owner is in his 80's and runs the business from Palm Springs (the store is located in San Marcos, CA. The man I talked with faxed the owner the paper work to issue me my $3,200.00. That was 2 weeks ago and I still haven't received my check. What are my options?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

CA. The purchase was made around June 27, 2017.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

I contacted the store that I bought the equipment from.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/4/2017
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 10 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Your next option is to send a demand letter (certified mail, return receipt requested) demanding a refund of your payment and giving the business a deadline to refund the money. If the business does not provide a refund by the deadline, you will need to file suit against the business. Because of the amount involved you can file a small claims suit, which is much cheaper and quicker than a superior court civil suit. You can click here to learn more about the small claims process.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

What else can I sue for besides my $3,200.00 (i.e my time, interest on my money, court costs, etc?). I paid cash for all the equipment just over $8,000.00 for the (3) items, so the owner of the company where I purchased these items has been using my $3,200.00 for the last 2 months. I really just want my $3,200.00 back as soon as possible, is small claims court the fastest way?
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 10 months ago

Small claims is the fastest and cheapest way to get your money back. The suit can include the amount paid, courts costs and interest on the amount owed.