I have a nephew who got locked up in Logan county I have…

Customer Question
Hello I have a...

Hello I have a nephew who got locked up in Logan county I have been trying to get more information on charges of why is bail is so high being a first time offender and 18 not much luck or even trying to find a reasonable bailbonds men because he is from Illinois. Do you have a good lawyer I can talk to as well trying to figure out why his court date is set so far away in novmber

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And to clarify, can you tell me what paperwork has been filed?

Gurthie Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No no one has called me back been leaving messages

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I I'm in Illinois trying to get as much assistance from a distance that I can. And it would be nice to talk to someone willing to help Thank you

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/4/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

In most jurisdictions a new arrest who comes to court as an inmate and who doesn't have a private attorney is assigned a public defender for his first appearance. So there may have been a lawyer who stood up with him on his case and can give you some information about your nephew.

Call the court where he appeared and talk to a clerk there. Give him your nephew's name and when he saw the judge, if you know that. Ask if a lawyer was assigned to his case and, if so, for the name and phone number of the lawyer. The clerk should have access to that information in either his computer records or on the court papers. The clerk can also tell you what he was charged with, how much his bond is, and when his next date is, although you seem to already know that.

Once a defendant comes before a judge and he is arraigned and has bail set, there is typically a 3-4 week gap until the next court date, unless there's some specific reason that the case has to be calendared earlier.

Judges decide the amount of bail based on the seriousness of the charge, the strength of the state's case, the background and history of the defendant, the defendant's ties to the community and whether the defendant is a flight risk. The judge likely feels that a teenager who has no ties to the community and is from another state is not a good risk to stick around for his next court appearance. I don't know what his charge is and how much his bond is, but the more serious and the more violent an offense, the higher you'd expect bond to be.

To find him a local attorney a good place to start would be the Oklahoma State Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge a referral fee of about $50 which would include a free half hour consultation with the attorney, which you can have from Illinois.

http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=OK

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.