I received an email from my sons ex-girlfriend last week…

Customer Question
I received an email...

I received an email from my sons ex-girlfriend last week stating that she was seeking a monetary settlement from me due to the money she says my son owes her from numerous incidents that occurred during their 3 year relationship that she claims she is still paying for today. Some of which she states my son forced her to spend money on things he wanted, he would use her credit card to buy things, and the repair of a broken car stereo which she claims he busted up. She also claims she had mental and physical abuse from my son during their relationship.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? Have any charges been officially filed?

Virgina. no

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

She is clearly stating that she wants to "settle" this out of court and also states she would prefer that I not say anything to my son until a settlement has been made.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have not contacted anyone yet. I feel like she is just trying to come to me to get some money as she knows my son does not have any.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/4/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

You have no legal obligation to pay your son's debts. She cannot win a lawsuit against you for money that he owes, or for mental or physical abuse that he caused her. As long as your son is an adult, you have no ability or legal obligation to control him or to protect third parties from him (in the event that you were aware someone needed protection).

If she's threatening to do anything to you or your son in the event that you don't pay, other than suing your son directly, then she's committing extortion, which is a crime.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

You should see a red call me button, which puts you in line for the next available expert.

Do you have any other questions about this?