What constitutes misappropriation of funds when someone has…

Customer Question
What constitutes misappropriation of funds...
What constitutes misappropriation of funds when someone has guardianship over my mother? Does putting mom’s CD’s in the guardians name to keep Rest
Home from getting them, then spends some of the money to pay off our brothers funeral, and then buys his farms at an rock bottom price from his special needs son,. By paying off the funeral debt it leaves the farms debt free for her to purchase them at a unreal price. She bought one for 8000, and has priced it now for 38,000 to a neighbor.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

A power of attorney and a guardian are both fiduciaries. A fiduciary duty means that the person in the fiduciary capacity owes a duty to the other person- and that the fiduciary must act in good faith, with the best intentions, to preserve any property that is at issue. Failure to act in this manner (essentially, a trust/guardian) is considered a "breach" and can result in:
1. removal of the fiduciary
2. sanctions (ie fines, award of attorney fees, etc)
3. damages (economic liability for the damages suffered by the party to whom the duty was owed)

So essentially anytime a fiduciary uses the funds for their own benefit, or "wastes" the funds (ie mismanagement) an interested party can petition the court for an accounting and then the court will take it from there. Self dealing transactions are also looked at very carefully to ensure that fair market value was received; if not the court can void that transaction to restore the ward to the position she should be in absent wrongdoing by the fiduciary.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Does the guardian have to share any reports regarding my mom with me? I spoke with the rest home regarding would I be called if my mom passed away and was told no, how do I know if moms funds are being used for her without seeing copies of the reports being filed
A guardian is only required to show if the Court orders it so an interested party can file a request. Also the Guardian is required to file an accounting that the court reviews.If the Guardian is prohibiting contact that person can petition the court for an order allowing contact, but the court may choose to remove the Guardian if it appears they are not acting in their best interest. The court generally prefers contact unless there is valid justification against contact.
Thank you

You are most welcome

Questions?

Post here please

No further questions?

kindly rate positively!

all information is legal

information only and

does not constitute

specific legal advice

or a particular course

of action. Thank you.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: