I turned 65 on Aug 18th 2017 and have not received my

Customer Question
I turned 65 on...

I turned 65 on Aug 18th 2017 and have not received my medicare card as of yet. I was told by my Township administrator thatI didn't have to do anything that my group insurance would have handled it. Are they wrong? My friend went to the office and signed up in Aug and he hasn't received his yet either. Social security is taking $134.00 out of my check so someone is aware that I'm 65. What should I do.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I live in NJ and so does my friend

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I was told by my twp. administrator that I didn't have to do anything it would be taken care of.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My friend went to a SS office and did paperwork in NJ but still hasn't got his card. My doctor is asking for it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/3/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 8 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

While waiting for a response, please do not keep asking questions, such as "Are you there", etc. since that can erase whatever I am writing and also interrupts the thought process. I will be back with you as soon as I can do any research necessary, formulate a response, and type it in.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

The only way you are "automatically" enrolled in Medicare at age 65 is if you are receiving retirement benefits from the Social Security Administration or the Railroad Retirement Board. If that is the case then you should have received your Medicare card about three months before you turned 65.

Otherwise, you have to manually enroll in the Medicare system. There is a webpage at https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-change-plans/get-parts-a-and-b/when-coverage-starts/when-coverage-starts.html

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

I will be going offline in a few minutes and will be back later this evening or tomorrow morning.

Please don't forget to issue a positive rating so I receive credit.