My roommates and I are stuck paying two rents in Boulder CO.

Customer Question
Hi, my roommates and...

Hi, my roommates and I are stuck paying two rents in Boulder CO. We originally moved into a unit that was too small and signed to get a bigger unit. However, the property manager has us liable for both units until we can find new tenants for the original unit.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I belive so

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have someone moved into the original unit but they are uncooperative in finding another person to fill the room

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/3/2017
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 10 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Yes, that is correct. The landlord may hold you liable for the rent for the unit for the remaining term of the lease. However, they are legally obligated to attempt to find a replacement tenant in good faith. From what I understand form the information you have provided, you have found a replacement tenant. The landlord does not have to accept any replacement tenant, but they must have a valid reason for rejecting the prospective replacement tenant, such as bad credit.

If the landlord does not have a valid reason for rejecting the tenant, then you have a valid defense against any future rent that would be due.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.