After a doctors appointment, my insurance sent me an

explanation of benefits letter. On...
After a doctors appointment, my insurance sent me an explanation of benefits letter. On the letter there is an 11 digit control number, what is the control number? Do I need to keep the letter the insurance company sent me, or can I throw it out?
10/3/2017
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience, including extensive experience in the health care field. I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The Explanation of Benefits (EOB) describes to you what portion of the bill was paid by the insurance company, what portion was the provider's responsibility, and what portion you have to pay.

If the EOB is correct in terms of the bill and the Doctor's office is not claiming that you owe more you can throw it away if you wish. Generally keep it for about 60 days to make sure the Doctor's office is not claiming a problem.

The control number is ***** by the insurance company to identify the record and claim in their system.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Thanks. The insurance company can look up all my previous claims from my ID number, including how much they paid for me and how much I paid out of pocket, right? So I don't need to keep all of my explanation of benefits letters.

That is correct. I find it convenient to keep mine for 30 to 60 days. BUT it is truly not necessary for any legal reason.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Thank you.

Thank you!