I am a local accounting firm and I took a client that owes…

Customer Question
I am a local...

I am a local accounting firm and I took a client that owes me $2200.00 to small claims court and won the judgment. My problem is I cannot get any help in collecting my money from the clerks office

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I do not know what to do I am at a loss. Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes I received the final judgment and am awarded $2221.00 but he will not pay it.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

I'm sorry to bother you. Are you still there?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know how to get my money. I am a small struggling business/

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
10/3/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

okay

Unfortunately, The Clerk of the Court cannot collect your judgment or give you legal advice, however, the following procedures may help you collect.

1. Obtain a certified copy of the Judgment from the Clerk’s office where your suit was filed.

2. Record the certified copy in the county where the defendant resides and any county where the defendant may have real property.

After recording the certified copy of the judgment, it becomes a lien against any real property then owned or thereafter acquired by the defendant in his/her name. A judgment has a lifetime of 20 years, however, a certified copy of the judgment must be re-recorded to extend the lien.

If you can locate and describe any property owned by the defendant, real or personal, you can secure a Writ of Execution from the Clerk’s office after a ten (10) day period has elapsed.

Prepare Instructions for Levy. Take it along with the Writ of Execution and certificate from the Secretary of State, to the Sheriff’s Department. They will advise you of the costs to proceed with the writ.

I am a little afraid of spending money on someone I do not even know. I have been scammed enough.

Here is a link with instructions for garnishing a bank account if you know where they have accounts:

FLORIDA GARNISHMENT

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Do not bill me for anything. This was no help and a waste of my time Take the $5.00 but do not BILL me anything else

I am happy to continue until you are satisfied. What other information do you need?

By the way, your satisfaction is completely guaranteed and I can put in a refund request for you, if you would rather not continue.

Loren, Attorney