Thanks I have a question we and 2 other women owe an

Customer Question
Thanks I have a...

Thanks I have a question we and 2 other women owe an apartment complex . I settle for 2000 I wrote a check for it and they also reported to the credit people that the account was settle for less then amount owe can they still try to garnish my pay

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Md

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I received a court paper saying they got award the judgement and I have 30 days to contest it

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No Thanks

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
10/3/2017
Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

What did the settlement agreement state you owed?

What did it say about ending your obligations under the settlement?

Was the contract that was the subject of this case a joint and severally liable contract?

We settle with 2,000
They said if I settle it would clear my name
One of the other girls did the same she settle with 2000 as well
And there where 3 of us on this place
When I checked my credit report it said that it was settle for less then owe and it would come off 2019 or 2020

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Once a debt is settled, it means the debtor has accepted the terms you've agreed to in order to perfect the judgment (i.e., terminate the debt). They cannot then go and garnish your wages. The report to the credit people does not mean they can garnish wages later. They've made an agreement to take the amount they agreed to in exchange for not coming after it later in wage garnishment.

So long story short, no, they cannot now garnish the wages once it is settled.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!