My wife and I ordered a home from Palm Harbor Homes in

Customer Question
My wife and I...

My wife and I ordered a home from Palm Harbor Homes in Millersburg OR April 10, 2016. It arrived here Aug 12, 2016 and we did not move in until Oct 15, 2016, 6 months later. When this home arrived, we told the retailer to take it back as it was in such a shamble. The electrical panel was label incorrectly, the master bath toilet was unusable as it was too close to the wall, the lino did not match on both sides as it as 1/2 unit out, we ordered a 17" toilet in the front bathroom but got a 15", there were no drawers in the bathroom vanity, the walls are crooked and Palm Harbor Homes sent their service manager, Mike Glaser, as well as the director from the parent company, Cavco Ind out of Phoenix AZ to see this house, but all we were told was that the walls being crooked were "undetermined" and the report was confidential. The paint is bubbling on the outside, the fridge opening was ordered at 31" but we got a 36" opening, the vanities were not as ordered, the water froze 2x in the master bathroom as the plant employees "ripped" drywall out instead if cutting it, and I can go on and on with what is wrong with our house. We have been in touch with Forrest Barnes, the general manager of Palm Harbor homes, but he told us that he was done with this home and will not answer further correspondence from me. We have pictures and e-mails of this place and paid $172,350 cash for this home. It will cost us about $75,000 for repairs and we have asked for this back. I get called "greedy" and launching a smear campaign against Palm Harbor Homes. If this were the case, I would not be asking for the repairs to be done, but rather ask for a full refund of $172,350. Can you help?Thank you,
Bert Enskat
***** Canyon, BC
V0B 1C1
ph.(###) ###-####

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

The manufacturer is based in Oregon and the purchase was made April 10, 2016 but the title was not transferred to our name until July 1017.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We have settled with the retailer for $20,000 but this was to cover our expenses of $30,000 which only touched what we actually laid out. I have been to Oregon and demonstrated there but the manufacturer, from what I gather, only said you are from Canada and therefore we are not liable.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only that the manufacturer said to contract the retailer, but he is out ouf business and back to selling used cars. A new owner now has the dealership but they are not using this name.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
10/3/2017
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 8 months ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Can you tell me, what are your questions regarding this?

We want Palm Harbor and Forrest Barnes, the gm, to be accountable and either fix this home or pay us about $75,000 which is what it will approx. cost or offer a settlement.
We are both retired and can ill afford any further costs unless we are guaranteed to win. We had a lawyer in Trail BC who charged us $3,000 to write 2 letters with no results.

You mention settlement...did you agree to settle this case? DId you sign papers to effect this?

I am concerned, what will this cost?

What will what cost?

Please cancel as I cannot afford $62 per month. Thnx.