We had a landscaper working at our house and he dropped a…

Customer Question
We had a landscaper...

We had a landscaper working at our house and he dropped a load of rock on my daughter's car (after he was told the car would be moved in 10 minutes). It is an older car but is in mint condition. His insurance offered to pay $900 of an $1800 repair bill (due to the age of the car). He refuses to pay the cost to cover the rest of the damage. What is our recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

MN. I believe it is from the early 90's. It was her grandma's car that hadn't been drive in 10 years was kept in mint condition.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No. Can you explain to me what they would do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
10/3/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

If the insurance company for the contractor will not offer a reasonable settlement, your daughter's recourse is to fall back to filing a lawsuit against the contractor (not the insurance company).

Because of the amount involved, your daughter can sue in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney