We own a property that is on Ford Lake. folk lore keeps the…

Customer Question
We own a property...

We own a property that is on Ford Lake. folk lore keeps the people from following reparian rights as settled by the Supreme Court in the Cadillac. Who can I contact to end this foolishness that we have no access to the water. We have lived there for 16 years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We have the reparian law paper work and I am not sure what else we need to do. The Realtor has all the paper work but no assesor is willing to say we have water access and the house has been sitting for 5 months as the township and different assesors pass it around without making or following the law

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that we are running out of time on the buyers loan date

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/3/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you have the proof you do have riparian rights, then you need to show them to the buyer. Furthermore, if nobody wishes to recognize those riparian rights, then you have no option other than filing suit in court to get a declaratory judgment declaring those rights for all of the owners around the lake. So if the assessors and nobody else wants to affirm your rights, then filing a petition for declaratory judgment in court would be the best option to get a definitive ruling.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.