I have a 91 year old grand mother who lives in miami florida…

Customer Question
Hi i have a...

Hi i have a 91 year old grand mother who lives in miami florida in a rental community. Her lease is expiring now and the they are increasing her rent from $780 to $970. Is this legal or is there a rental stabilization law in florida? Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/3/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 10 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Do you know if this is any type of government housing or is it a private community?

Hi. It's a private community.
I'm at work, I rather text.

Thank you. I am sorry to say but if her lease has expired, they can raise the rent. There is no rent control in place that would prevent this but she can go back to them and make a counter offer, in hopes that they will accept it and she can remain. I know she is elderly and the last thing she wants to do is move but they can increase the rent and will often do that, if the current rent that is paid, is below market value and they believe they can get more from the rental unit.

Ok. I appreciate your time. Thank you. Have a great day.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.