Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I NEED A COPY OF TITLE INSURANCE POLICY BUT I CAN NOT FIND A

Customer Question
COMPANY. I PURCHASED A CONDO...
I NEED A COPY OF TITLE INSURANCE POLICY BUT I CAN NOT FIND A COMPANY. I PURCHASED A CONDO IN 2002 Y.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: NY
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I HAVE ONLY POLICY # AND REMEMBER A NAME OF A CO. BUT IT DOES NOT EXIST NOW.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I WANT TO SELL, BUT CITY RECORD SHOW SOME DEBT ON A TITLE
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
10/3/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
Contact the NY Dept of Financial Services. The oversee and regulate title insurance and can tell you who is the the successor to your title insurer and would be responsible for your policy.
Your policy would not just disappear. Even if the company went out of business, a receiver would be appointed and the policy would continue with a successor company.
You can call DFS at tel(###) ###-####and they will help you find the current insurer.If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney