I met with a guy wanting to sell a four-wheeler on a country…

Customer Question
I met with a guy...
I met with a guy wanting to sell a four-wheeler on a country road to test drive it first and then try and negotiate a price. While driving I met a county officer that passed by me while I was at stop sign. When he went by I turned around and went opposite direction because I had no helmet or no tags (which I once owned a 4wheeler and was threatened to get tags or get it impounded). That going through my mind I rushed to get the ATV back to owner. While heading back I was shortly surrounded by several cops chasing me and I turned to cut through a field where they kept pursuit and one officer was about 5 feet from me when I was slowing to come to a stop pointing a 45 mm at my face saying he was fixing to open fire on me. I panicked wondering why they were so aggressive at stopping me and threatening my life to do so. I grew some distance between us and then heard a helicopter over me. That's when I realized I better pull over regardless why. I then looked around for officers to let them see me turning myself over and when I fixed my eyes back to the road I then hit lose gravel and wrecked causing none/very limited damage to ATV but I got thrown off and hit a tree breaking 6 ribs,punchered lung,broken collarbone,broken bone in the temple of my head,and fractured skull. I was air lifted to hospital and on life support for several days. When I got released from hospital I couldn't remember much and still having trouble. When I returned home at 11 pm,4am 4 officers were at my door and said I was under arrest for evading arrest,stolen property over $1000 but less than $10,000,driving on revoked license,possession of marijuana,possession of cocaine,possession of meth!!! I asked them how is that possible!? They said they did a search warrant and they found it. My neighbors said they looked in back yard and also searched my truck. Is this legal and home I'm living in still has this other lady's personal belongings and is in prison for abusing drugs and nothing in that house belongs to me except my tools and clothes and I'm on no lease and live there free. Also when arrested,the cops threatened me to give them information and interrogated me in an interview room and I kept telling them I'm having trouble remembering things and they insisted that I write down everything I knew and it better be accurate. I have never had a felony or drug charge and I've never stolen! I'm 46 and disabled.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 8 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. It sounds as though you may have legal defenses to raise and will want your attorney to work the case and look into this. I say this because the police would need a legal basis to search your home. They could search your person, incident to a lawful arrest, so if they were pursuing you and chasing you and tried to stop you and you fled and crashed and they took you to the hospital, they could search you, legally. However, to search the home, they would need a warrant and would need to show how this was related. If they can not, the evidence found in the home, would be suppressed. Moreover, if they questioned you and your rights were not read, those statements could be suppressed as well. It appears that there is a lot of discovery to perform and the depositions of the officers need to be taken and reports need to be read and reviewed, to see the basis of the searches and actions of the police.

They still have my keys to my house and cell phone and acted like they didn't which is how they entered my resident because my neighbors saw them and also going through my truck which was locked. House is destroyed and my truck dashboard is completely out. I had to find a way to hook up my headlights! So when did it become a law to have a valid driver license to drive a four-wheeler? Should I take pictures of the house and my truck?

Yes, you certainly want to take photos and video of the damage, as you may have a basis to sue and have them repair the damage which they caused. You want to document this. As far as the issue with the four wheeler, there are laws in place which may require it on public roadways. A lot has to do with the vehicle and the CC's and other characteristics about it which make it a vehicle that requires a license to drive.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!