What can you do if you were a victim of fraud and your bank…

Customer Question
What can you do...

What can you do if you were a victim of fraud and your bank won't credit your account?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes they credit my account in July but after 90 days decided it wasn't fraud because I said the company could chrage my card however no goods or service was ever rendered.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The other card involved has credited my account and left it The people who did this have already been caught and are now in jail, I don't understand why Capitol One has reveversed their charges.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/3/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Capital One's credit card agreement only promises to reimburse for charges made using a lost or stolen card, meaning that you didn't authorize the transaction in the first place. They do sometimes use different agreements for different types of cards, so you may want to check yours. If your agreement is the same as the one I'm looking at, they're not obligated to issue a refund when you make a purchase that doesn't arrive. Some cards offer that protection, but it appears that this company does not.

You can try contacting them again and asking if there is any way to appeal the decision. If they won't review it, then your recourse is to sue the people who took your money and never delivered the goods.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?