I have a friend that needs to get a felony expunged. He has…

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend that needs to get a felony expunged. He has little money and is looking for a lawyer that will work pro bono in lansing, michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Michigan. 7 years ago he was driving with a concealed weapon. No other issues since

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. He has not had the money too

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that's everything

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
10/3/2017
Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Michael Bradley

The state allows you to have one felony or misdemeanor conviction set aside, but it must meet certain restrictions. You may not have records expunged if:

• The maximum sentence for the crime is life in prison, even if you received a lesser sentence.
  • You were convicted of committing or attempting to commit a sex crime.
  • The conviction was traffic-related.
  • You have additional convictions, other than up to two minor offenses, on your record.

You must also wait five years after your conviction or release from prison before your records can be expunged. Once you have had an adult conviction set aside, you are not eligible for future expungements.

Juveniles may have adjudications set aside if they have three or fewer juvenile offenses on their record. They must not have any felony convictions.

You will need the appropriate application, which differs for adult convictions and juvenile adjudications. Additional documents and information you may need include:

• A fingerprint card for the state police obtained from any Michigan law enforcement agency
  • A certified copy of your conviction record
  • The name and address of the prosecutor in your case

The prosecutor's name should be on your conviction record; you should be able to get a current address from the Michigan Prosecuting Attorney Office Directory.

After filling out your application, you must file it and any other needed documents with the court that handled your case. The prosecutor, state police, and attorney general all need copies of your application as well.

You will have a hearing where you will need to convince the judge that you deserve to have your conviction set aside. It will help your case if you can show you have stayed out of trouble since your conviction. Your victims and law enforcement officials have the option of objecting to or supporting your application.

are there any lawyers that will take it pro bono?

you can try to contact legal aid but I doubt you will find one for free

this should not cost too much money though since it is not the most difficult thing to do

basically, you told me the exact same thing that google told me. This wasn't worth it. Thank you.