What do I need in Florida to file a small claims case in…

Customer Question
What do I need...

What do I need in Florida to file a small claims case in Florida who I lent money to, but did not get a note signed

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They lived together for a year and a half and she promised that she would pay him back. (I'm asking on behalf of my son). When he lived there he did not pay any rent.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
10/2/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you for your patience. Generally, the small claims forms that you need vary depending on the county that you are in. But the general procedure is that you would go down to the court in the county where the defendant lives or where their contract was breached. You would then fill out the required court forms and file them with the court clerk. You would take those copies that were filed and serve them on the defendant in the case. Someone who is over 18 and not a party to the case must serve these documents either personally or by mail generally. In addition, the court may require you to fill out a proof of service, proving that you had the docs served. If you don’t know anyone that can do it, you can go to www.thumbtack.com and look for a process server in your area. At the time you file the docs, the court will provide you a court date where you will show up and explain your case. The other party will have a chance to defend themselves in court as well. At court, you will need to provide whatever evidence you have that you lent them the money and that it was not paid back.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

My 5.00 has been deducted from my card.....everything went through just fine..please respond to my questions
Thank you for your patience. Generally, the small claims forms that you need vary depending on the county that you are in. But the general procedure is that you would go down to the court in the county where the defendant lives or where their contract was breached. You would then fill out the required court forms and file them with the court clerk. You would take those copies that were filed and serve them on the defendant in the case. Someone who is over 18 and not a party to the case must serve these documents either personally or by mail generally. In addition, the court may require you to fill out a proof of service, proving that you had the docs served. If you don’t know anyone that can do it, you can go to www.thumbtack.com and look for a process server in your area. At the time you file the docs, the court will provide you a court date where you will show up and explain your case. The other party will have a chance to defend themselves in court as well. At court, you will need to provide whatever evidence you have that you lent them the money and that it was not paid back.Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.