I would like to know if inmates at the Oregon State

Customer Question
Good morning! I would...

Good morning! I would like to know if inmates at the Oregon State Correctional Institution in Salem, OR have the right to freedom of religion. An inmate has written me telling me that all inmates were forced to attend a "Prisoners for Christ" program. This particular inmate is Native American. Can the Warden and/or State of Oregon force an inmate to attend a religious program if they do not want to? Do inmates lose their right to freedom of religion when convicted? I appreciate any help you may have time to offer. Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Salem, Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, I called a center for human rights & they referred me to the Oregon State Bar. Here I am.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything at this moment.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/2/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you.

Prisoners do not lose their freedom of religion for being incarcerated.