I worked for a law office for two years as their cleaning…

Customer Question
I worked for a law...
I worked for a law office for two years as their cleaning lady. One of my responsibilities was disposing of garbage which was allready bagged. The garbage would always have legal documents that weren't shredded. I wasn't given instruction on how to dispose of them or money for garbage tags so I put them on the dumpster at my other work place. My boss called the lawyer and asked why her garbage was there and I got fired over it. No notice or severance. I've left numerous messages at the lawyers to discus this but she won't return my calls. How should I proceed?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/2/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 10 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You did your job and no basis to retaliate in this manner. You want to have a lawyer negotiate a settlement and employer should want your confidentiality as it wont want clients to know it took no steps to safeguard their information.

Isn't it illegal for them not to shred all documents? I also never received a pay stub or T4 during that time so I'm not sure how to prove I worked there.

It is not illegal, but it exposes them to claims from clients for not safeguarding their information. You can prove you worked there through paychecks, and they wont deny you worked there as there are witnesses, checks, co workers etc.