A will was submitted for probate naming co executors both…

Customer Question
A will was submitted...

A will was submitted for probate naming co executors both are estranged and one signature may not be able to be obtained how can we continue the proce

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Will, death certificate

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How do we proceed without the cooperation of the one executor

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/2/2017
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. If one co-executor is either unable or unwilling to cooperate in the administration of the estate, then the other co-executor should file a petition with the probate court to have the co-executor removed who is either unable and/or unwilling to fulfill his/her fiduciary duty in administering the estate. Just because a will names a person as a co-executor doesn't mean that the person cannot be removed; such a person has a fiduciry duty to both the estate and the beneficiaries to timely administer the estate pursuant to the will. If the person won't or can't do so, the probate court will have that person removed as co-executor.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Good morning. Just following up. My screen indicates that you have not reviewed my response. Please let me know if you did not receive it so I can re-send it if necessary. Thank you! Richard