I have a court hearing in NC tomorrow for two misdemeanor…

Customer Question
I have a court...

I have a court hearing in NC tomorrow for two misdemeanor counts. One for misdemeanor assault for pushing somebody and one for making a threat. Both we tomorrow for two misdemeanor counts. One before misdemeanor assault for pushing somebody and one for making a threat. Both occurred in a heated moment with another motorist. The motorist said you won't do anything and I said something back which was written up as a threat. Would it be wise to ask for a PJC in a case like this? I have absolutely no record outside of a traffic ticket years ago. So embarrassing

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

It was in North Carolina. The individual tailgated me on his motorcycle and I told him that he needs to back off when we both pulled into a gas station. We got into a heated argument and when he said do it I responded stupidly by pushing him lightly twice.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. They cost too much money in the hearing is tomorrow

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/1/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Yes, you could ask for a PJC in this matter. However, you need to be aware, if you aren't already, that a PJC will show on your criminal record and that you likely won't be able to expunge it. So even though you can say it's not a conviction, in a background check the fact that you were charged with an assault and threats will show up.

Your best chance of minimizing repercussions from this charge is going to be with a lawyer. It's possible that the charge can be reduced or even dismissed. I wouldn't jump at the PJC before at least having a formal consultation with a local criminal lawyer to see if he can do better for you than the PJC. Many have low cost or free initial consultations.

If tomorrow is your arraignment, you can plead not guilty and ask for a continuance to seek the advice of counsel.

I looked into it and it would cost over $1000. Seems steep for a misdemeanor when I have no record at all

Right. BUt you will have one if you do it your way. If you've already had a free consultation with a lawyer and he has told you that the PJC is your best option under the circumstances, then go for it. Otherwise, you don't want to find out the hard way that you should have spent the money, if you lose job opportunities, for example.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.