What protections do I have when buying from private party.

Customer Question
What protections do I...

What protections do I have when buying from private party

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet. Bought it yesterday and went bad 5 hours later.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/1/2017
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 10 months ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. What is it you purchased?

I purchased a car from a private party. 5 hours later it went up in smoke. She told me it was gone through back to front. What recourse do I have to get my money back.

The recourse to require them to refund your money will depend on context.

IF they lied to you regarding the condition of the car, and you relied on that information? That could be a basis to void the contract.

So if you can prove they lied to you? That would be a basis to void the contract.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.