I live on the first floor of a two-apartment building in…

Customer Question
I live on the...

I live on the first floor of a two-apartment building in Kenwood/Hyde Park, Illinois. We share a common entry/vestibule and back stairs. Since May, 2017, the upstairs resident has been having gatherings of about 8-15 people (who are not known to me), every day, Monday through Friday, arriving from 6:15am and departing approximately 8:30am. The quiet morning is now disrupted by the intercom, people announcing themselves, the door buzzer and morning chatter of people greeting each other. My bedroom sits beside the front door, so there's no way to avoid the noise. This weekend, they also started to come on Saturday, except arriving at about 7:30am and coming and going at different times through 3pm. We were never told this was occurring or asked if this was a problem. This is definitely an intrusion of our quiet and privacy every day, and also feels unsafe since the guests have access to our vestibule and my front door. The relationship is contentious, so conversation would not be possible. Is this regular occurrence allowable?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I'm asking because I don't know if this is some violation based on times or neighborhood.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sorry, Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is a residential area, but populated by University of Chicago campus. Nothing else

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Are there terms in the lease about visiting hours?

Have you approached your landlord about this issue?

No terms mentioned. We are both owners

Thank you for your clarification.

So you are owners under a co-op or condo association? The bylaws are silent on this issue?

It's a privately owned building. Co-owned by siblings, inherited property
Are you still there?
Hello?

Thank you for your reply. Yes I am online and we are working with multiple customers at one time who all deserve the same time as you deserve. Please give me a moment as I work on your answer, as every time you reply, I lose what I was typing and have to start over again and it moves your question lower on the priority list, meaning I have to go to other customers waiting before I can come back to you.

Thank you for letting me know how this works

Sorry for the further delay, your last reply knocked your question back down the waiting list.

Legally, there is no law in IL preventing this type of conduct that you are describing. If they are making unreasonable noise interfering with your use and enjoyment of the premises, then you would need to pursue a civil lawsuit against the other owner/occupant for creating a private nuisance on your property that interferes with the use and enjoyment of your property.

If his guests are making unreasonable noise, you can file a police report for them to investigate for disturbing the peace, but if the police refuse to investigate or take action then civil suit is your sole remaining recourse against the other owner.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.