A person who I have a contract with to get 50% profits on a…

Customer Question
A person who I...

A person who I have a contract with to get 50% profits on a boat sale. Lied to a the storage manger to remove the boat and hold it at ransom until I pay him 1700 that he says is owed to him . Its not, I have a contract saying he was payed. He removed it from my storage facility, against my wishes, admitted to stealing it via text. Police say this is civil. How is that possible. There was no authorozation to conduct work, the boat was never in his possession until he forced it to be. AS HE admits. I am 100% registered owner.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the boat?

Ca , 1982 worth about 10k

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I filed a police report. They say its civil and talk to auto theft division on monday

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/1/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you. This is indeed a civil matter - a contract dispute - so litigation would be the course of action you would pursue if you're unable to resolve the matter with him.

He removed the boat from my possession, un lawfully. I have uploaded the contract. It might be a contract dispute that I owe him $1700 but removal of the boat for ransom?

Based on what you've said, it is not a criminal matter presently.

If that is not theft. What is? If somone has keys to my car, and they say I owe them money. Its parked on the street. They can open the car drive off and hold it until I pay them, though its not owed. I just payed $50 for two sentences . I can not pay another $50 for a call.

I can continue to talk to you on here - but that's why the police wont get involved. B/c they believe this is a contract dispute.

He doesnt even have the keys. Did you read the contract? How can I get them involved. When does it become a crime?

Unfortunately, the police will not read a contract... You cant force them to arrest someone when they believe something is a contractual dispute.

He removed it willfully and illegially to hold it at ransom. I ask again. When does it become a crime
Nor will you read a contract?

I did read your contract. It becomes theft when a prosecutor decides to charge someone with theft. But when two people have a dispute over money and property the police are reticent to get involved. Does that make sense?

NO. Its a dispute over the boat. He removed it from my possession

Right, I understand. It's a dispute over property - and the payment for that property.

what about the act of forcefully removing from me?
when is this considered a left? He forced the removal un lawfully.
What are the pitfalls of citizen arrest if that is not possible?
The boat has not been sold
No one has been assigned.