I'm a disabled widow looking for help bringing suit to

Customer Question
I'm a disabled widow...

I'm a disabled widow looking for help bringing suit to reputable bank in my area. I was contacted last year by a mortgage rep of this bank. I had recently lost my husband, adult daughter, spouses income & financial caretaker for yrs. I feared I couldn't keep my home. I spoke w/ rep, gave him honest answers to his questions, and in a reasonable amt. of time he called back to tell me I met criteria for several programs the bank offered. I had verified his employ, & bank is one in this area. I began the process of getting a new mortgage @ 1/2 the % & 1/2 the monthly payment. He went on to say that If I wanted cash out he couldn't do that as feds (?) do not allow it, but he/bank offered a delayed payment of 2 mos., this was a + of course. He asked for items to process loan with, I provided, and ultimately "I was approved". He had a Notary come to my home, she verified identity-photo, & few other things and had me sign some paperwork. At some point I noted there seemed to be "a lot" of paperwork, which I ?'d...Advised I was signing my loan documents, as I was approved for loan. I reviewed closer to make sure contract was as we discussed. It was. Notary notarized (Sat.), advised she would be turning it in on Mon. & I would get my copy in 2-3 days. I DID. Now I sit tight for 2 mos. as stated, I'm not paying my old mortgage. Before 2nd mo. ended I began to get serious delinquency letters from old mortgage, I spoke w/ them about all above, & fact I didn't stay w/ them because they refused to work w/ me. They stated my disability $ would prohibit me from qualifying to keep my home. I reminded them I filed for the hardship program-DENIED. Had no choice but to look elsewhere. Asked point blank if new mortgage had contacted them, NO. Called Rep new mortgage-unable to spk to him for several days, & didn't rtn calls. Called my attny. real estate told her what was going on. She checked our county courthouse for filings by new mortgage-none. She advised me to get Rep on phone, ask him why he hadn't filed loan. I did get him on phone within next day or so. Stated he "found" a judgement (2) on my house in the court house book. I explained what exactly the one was (the one I knew about) and it was set to expire this year. However, a 2nd one was a mystery to me. It was a creditor of my husbands, that was part of a bankruptcy some yrs back, had gone around the system and placed the lien there, illegally. A call to our attny. handling that advised me it could/ would be addressed. Did not see a problem. Still doesn't justify his not honoring our contract, not calling me for an explanation, and avoiding my calls.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not sure what you mean

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that all the delays and confusion caused my home to go into foreclosure. Which I found out thru a neighbor, who approached me to buy my property. I had to get an attny to stall courthouse sale

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
10/1/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your specific question for us about this issue?

Did you ask your attorney handling the foreclosure about suing the bank for their negligent handling of your mortgage?

Tina, Lawyer