I did something really stupid and absolutely know better but…

Customer Question
I did something really...

I did something really stupid and absolutely know better but here it is the other night about 3 in the morning I hear my phone go off and pick it up and I had a instant message and it showed a picture of someone that look familiar so I opened it and there was a video of a girl masturbating and asking me all these crazy things and like every red-blooded American guy watched the video then she said she wanted to see my male member and the type video she had it had a picture of my face on the screen also in a small window so I did show her and immediately the video went off and I was instructed to send $1,200 to a place and a country called Mali if I did not follow through I would not only be arrested for exposing myself but that the video that they had taken along with the video that they had showed me would be sent to my wife and children on all the social media Networks and I am a professional in my hometown and am afraid if all is true that my customer base may also see it

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have not gone to the police yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The phone number that is their contact is from California where the 310 area code

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/1/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

This is a scam here send money ,this is real common.I would suggest you clear the information from your phone.I would change your passwords social media and if you really want to be safe ditch the cell phone. This could possibly be criminal here, no need to report it to law enforcement.

The penalty someone receives for being convicted of a sexting-related crime in Georgia will differ depending on several factors. The specific crimes involved, the defendant’s criminal history, and whether the defendant is a juvenile or an adult will all play a role.

• Juvenile penalties. With the adoption of the new sexting legislation in 2013, teens convicted of a sexting offense face much less serious penalties. Juvenile courts have the discretion to impose penalties that include probation, fines, community service, placement with a juvenile detention facility, or other punishments as the court deems appropriate. (For more on juvenile courts, see Juvenile Court: An Overview.)
  • Adult penalties. When an adult teen is convicted of a sexting crime in Georgia, the penalties are much more severe. Depending on the crime involved, an adult teen faces anywhere from up to a year in jail, to no less than 5 and no more than 20 years in prison. Fines for sexting crimes can also differ significantly, ranging from fines of up to $5,000, to fines of not more than $100,000.

Have no more contact, do not report this to anyone, time is on your side it is virtually certain to just go away here.Change up your passwords anything else you can here do shut this down.Maybe avoid the internet for awhile, again they likely move on and it was a mass scam to seek money and they move elsewhere pretty quick.

Sorry this happened to you, appreciate the chance to give you some peace of mind.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.It will be ok here.