If my spouse has died, and left credit card debit but had no…

Customer Question
If my spouse has...

If my spouse has died, and left credit card debit but had no assets other personal items, so there is no estate am I liable to pay the credit card debit that was in his name only?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I don't understand your question

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/1/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Unfortunately, TX is a community property state which means that all assets and all debts acquired during the marriage are jointly owned and are the responsibility of both parties...

.

So to answer your question directly, yes, since TX is a community property state, you would be liable for any debts your husband incurred during the marriage.

.

With that said, if you sent the creditors a letter stating that husband's estate is insolvent and there will not be a probate case filed to settle his estate, sometimes they will just write off the debt as uncollectible..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much