I live in ct., have a reverse mortgage with my husband. i…

Customer Question
I live in ct....

I live in ct., have a reverse mortgage with my husband. i want to divorce him and would like to know what legal obstcles and/ or onsequences accrue from such a divorce. I am an 82 year old woman.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Conneciut

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I'm not certain what specialty lawyer I should speak with, i.e., elder lawyer, estate and probate lawyer,etc.?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Technically I Iive in NYc,i., I vote there, have an apartmen tin NY. My drivers license is in Ct.. My husband and I were separated for many years. He lives in Ct., but all of our property remains in common. We never obtained a divorce, instead decided a few years ago, due to our age to Itry marriage again,one last trial.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
10/1/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you. The legal obstacles you face are really not that different from the legal obstacles anyone else of any age would face. If you do decide to hire an attorney, you'll want one who is experienced in family law.

As with any divorce there will be a division of assets and expenses.

You'll want to file where you establish residency, which in your case sounds like it would be NY. You may even wish to discuss a divorce with him in order to ascertain whether you can come up with some reasonably amicable resolution prior to filing. You haven't indicated that you think it might be contentious or acrimonious which is why I suggest that.

Olivia,
It would not be acrimonious. ONE concern is that we have a reverse mortgage and how that will effect the divorce,or be effectedby it. We both own the RM and as a result can continue to live there until we die so long as we pay mortgage taxes. BUt what happens to the RM. and its R&R given a divorce. For example do one of us lose the RIGHT to ive there until we die,or do one of us lose what little equity remains in the mortgage if we divorce. ICan the RM be contested in a divoce, or are we penalized in some way?? ALSO BECAUSE WE ARE ELDERLY AND HAVE LITTLE MONEY TO SPARE HOW DO WE cALCULATE ENTITLEMENTS (IF THERE ARE ANY) GIVEN A DIVORCE. ALSO THE ISSUE OF SPOUSAL RESPONSIBILITY If ONE NEEDS NURSINg HOME CARE. IN NY THERE IS NO SUcH LAW,nor responsibility one spouse for another SUCH IS not NOT THE CASE IN CT.
You can bill me through the master card i submitted for the initial cost.

I'm sorry I wasnt able to accept your phone call request when it came in. Would you like me to call you now?

Whenever a divorcing couple has a reverse mortgage they must submit the divorce decree to the loan servicer. At that point, one of the spouses will be permitted to be removed from the home title, keeping the loan in the remaining spouse’s name.

MY PAYMENT WAS VERIFIED BY MY CARDHOLDER THIS MORNING, BUT I HAVE RECEIVED NO PHONE CALL FROM YOU. PLEASE CALL ME AT(###) ###-####
Hi. I would be happy to speak by phone. Experts have no control over payments. If you reply on here I can send you a phone call request link.
PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO . BARCLAY BAMK CALLED THIS MORNING TO VERIFY THE PAYMENT I MADE TO YOU. I TOLD THEM IT IS LEGITIMATE. THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO PAY FOR A PHONE CALL. I HAVE NOT HEARD FROM YOU. WHAT SHOULD I DO.? I MUST GO OUT. MY CELL PHONE IS NOT CONSISTENT SO I MAY NOT GET THE CALL IF YOU CALL IT. NONETHELES I WILL GIVE YOU THE NUMBER. IT IS###-##-#### I RECEIVED NO RECEPT FOR MY PAYMENT OF 5$ PLUS THE EXTA 49$. PLEASE ADVISE. EVELYN HARRIS

Evelyn, it says the phone call request has expired. I'm going to forward this to customer service for them to fix it. They may need to reverse the charge so we can but it through again. Experts don't have any control over that - but regardless, I'd be happy to talk to you any time!

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney