Is it lawful to publish names of sick members on a church…

Customer Question
Is it lawful to...

Is it lawful to publish names of sick members on a church bulletin without their permission?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No ma'am.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I don't believe so.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/30/2017
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 10 months ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Why would you publish this information against their wishes?

We produce a weekly church bulletin and it contains names of the sick members in the congregation. It's a longstanding tradition and no one has complained. But I don't feel that we should be doing this and I wondered if it is legal.

It is not "illegal? in the sense that it is not a crime. But it IS a potential violation of the individuals privacy rights. Unless you have their permission, you should not be passing on, to others, individuals private healthcare status. That could open you up to a lawsuit

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Why was my card charged 36$ instead of 5.00 ?

I have no idea...I am a user of the website, just like you. I would urge you to contact customer service if you have billing questions