What is the legal situation for a couple that got married…

Customer Question
What is the legal...

What is the legal situation for a couple that got married but never sent in the paper work afterward. Are they legally married, what about the paper work, and whatever else pertains.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, they had the wedding, had license, but never sent in any paper work to the state.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just my questions

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/1/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Did the couple have a formal wedding with a licensed officiant, like a minister, and have him sign the marriage certificate?.

.

If so, did the officiant return the license for recording to the county?

.

.

thanks