Do you answer questions about forfeiture laws in criminal…

Customer Question
Hello. Do you...

Hello. Do you answer questions about forfeiture laws in criminal cases?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Washington and others

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Just want to know if forfeited items can be taken off dollar amounts in a federal case. Yes, they have attorneys.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Monies and properties were seized. The question is (for my friend), can the dollar amounts that were seized be "credited" against the total dollar amounts of the crimes?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/30/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 10 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question. The forfeiture or restitution orders normally permit credit of all kind including property seized and this should be acknowledged by the court and prosecutor along with defense counsel. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Can you give me case law on this? Thank you.
This is an issue for application by the parties and not precedent. The forfeiture order will generally provide how it can be repaid so its a matter of negotiating or amending the order to allow for such credit. if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Thank you, ***** ***** doesn't help me in that I need case law where forfeiture was applied towards dollars amounts taken in a bank fraud case.
It depends on the language of the order so the order needs to provide for credit to recoveries.
Okay. Thank you. I am going to log off now.
Very welcome. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”