My father and I are the sole owners of a domestic stock

Customer Question
California Corporation, we are also...
My father and I are the sole owners of a domestic stock California Corporation, we are also the only Operators and Employee's. When conducting business, we have been using our full legal business name that is registered with the state Secretary. We would now like to change the name to something more generic. Right now, the business name has my fathers first/last name in it, we would like to change to something more generic for the industry we are in. We are planning to ramp up our website and branding, so making this change now will save us money and time in reformatting those.
What are the legal implications and costs for:
1. Changing the corporation's name with a filing to the State?
2. Using a "fictitious" business name?
I am leaning towards opinion one so there is no confusion by the public or a client of what business entity they are dealing with but I will consider all advice, thanks
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 day by:
10/2/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Thanks so much for requesting me. It’s pretty easy to get your name changed. If you click here, you can see the certificate of amendment that you need to file with the Secretary. It’s only $30 to have a name change process. Before you change the name, make sure that you go through the process of voting on this between you and your father. Even if it’s an informal vote, should you sell the company in the future, you can have proof this was done properly.

As far as using a fictitious business name, any person or entity carrying on a trade or business under a name which does not include the owners’ last name and portray the nature of the business requires filing a fictitious business name statement. A fictitious business name statement (d.b.a. or “doing business as”) must be registered with the county clerk of the county of the registrant’s principal place of business if the business. Accordingly, depending on your county, there should be online forms available to do this. Thus, my recommendation would be to file for the name change with the state then do the DBA with the county as well. Did you have any other questions for me at all?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer