My live in mother in law won't leave our home. She

Customer Question
My live in mother...

My live in mother in law won't leave our home. She threatened to lie and tell police I pushed her down. And she did. She called A PS n said she's being verbally abused, doesn't eat, has no tv in her room no heat or a.c.. She said she's afraid for her life. Day 2 she tried to make another false accusation to spa but they denied it because there's already one under investigation. So therefore she called a hotline n said she's being held against her will n not able to eat or drink. The police came to my home. She wouldn't get up out of bed to speak to them so they came into my home to make sure she wasn't being "tortured". That is the word the officer used. She acted incapable n so the paramedics were called. She refused to go to the hospital n her vs were stable. She told me she was going to destroy me. What if I call her a f**king bitch? I'm being told by friends that she could be recording me. Actually, she's also told me this. Going mad in my own home!!!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I invited her to live with us n she's been here since the second week of April 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. Adult protective services came to my home Thursday and the police came yesterday

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
9/30/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Even if someone is a family member, if they are living in your home and they are not on a yearly lease, they are going to be considered a month to month tenant. A month to month tenant does not need to pay rent so long as the landlord (you) and the tenant ( your mother in law) agree to let her stay there. If you would like to evict her, you generally need to give 30 days notice to the tenant that they must leave. You do not have to give a reason so long as it is not based on her age, race, disability, etc. Basically, no discriminatory reasons.

Additionally, I wouldn’t worry about the APS claims unless they can be substantiated. Many times, people may do these things to get attention and they go nowhere.

If you are feeling litigious, you could sue her for intentional infliction of emotional distress. This is where one party intentionally inflicts emotional distress on another party. In this case, your mother in law may be inflicting emotional distress on you and your family intentionally. As a result, you could potentially sue for any medications, time spent away from work, or therapist bills you’ve had to incur as a result.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

What if I call her a bitch
Phone call session started

Hello! I see you requested a call. Let me call in you in approximately 45 minutes.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer