Have a business partner in a joint company. We are in

Customer Question
Have a business partner...

Have a business partner in a joint company. We are in process of dissolution (without legal help). She drained the business bank account (joint ownership access) and transferred all the money into her own personal account. They money in the bank account comes from revenue by filing a claim for each client that has a counseling appointment. We have two independent contractors. So the bank account is the revenue of four people essentially. We have a deposit from an insurance company coming money and she has already set up a transfer from the business bank account into her own personal account. I don't know what I should do. If I should cancel the account, call the insurance companies, etc. Are there potential legal consequences since it's a joint business?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I moved my things out of the office and she has changed the mail keys

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/30/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 8 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
On review of your facts, you have a good case. you obviously can sue the partner to recoup money and get an accounting. You may seek a TRO. Practically consider opening a new account or have outside parties hold the funds in escrow. Retain business counsel. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Tina, Lawyer