I am an international student. And recently another senior…

Customer Question
I am an international...

I am an international student. And recently another senior from my own country assaulted me in a discussion. She chocked me and i had cut from her sharp nails and i was bleeding for a while. I want to know whether we can do anything about this? Because i want her to know this is America and things are different in here.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Utah

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yeah she is from a big political back in country and I am afraid she will do bigger harm in future. politican

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/30/2017
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 10 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

You can file a police report, because what you are describing is criminal assault and battery against you. Utah statute 76-5-102 defines the crime of assault as involving one of the following:

Attempting to do bodily injury to another with force or violence,

Threatening with a show of immediate force or violence, to do injury to someone, or

Acting with force or violence and causing bodily injury to another or creating substantial risk of such injury.

A Class B Misdemeanor is punishable by $1,000 in fines and up to 6 months in jail. A Class A Misdemeanor is assigned if the victim is pregnant or if the act causes substantial bodily injury to the victim. This can be punishable up to one year in jail and $2,500 in fines.

Under Utah Law, aggravated assault is considered even graver than assault. Under statute 76-5-703 it is defined as the use of a dangerous weapon, or using other means of force likely to produce death or serious bodily injury.

At the very least, this person could be charged with a Class B misdemeanor and potentially depending on the extent of the injuries, aggravated assault.