I've met an artist who wants to provide images that I can…

Customer Question
I've met an artist...

I've met an artist who wants to provide images that I can reproduce on my pottery. How do I compensate him fairly?

Lawyer's Assistant: What written documentation do you have?

None.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

Nothing. We met at a local festival where we were both vendors.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Obviously I don't even know what to ask.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/30/2017
Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Michael Bradley
When it comes to compensation for something like this, it is really something that you two can discuss and agree upon a price. The value of something like this is somewhat speculative depending on how popular the artist is, the complexity of the image Etc. You may want to do something where I buy he gets compensated as a piece gets sold so that way no one is over or under paid but actually is compensated relative to sales you can do a simple agreement in writing as to the compensation decision and make sure it is signed by both parties
OK, I was thinking along those lines. These items are usually sold in shops, commission. These mugs sell for $25 retail, the shop gets 30%, which leaves me with about $15. The verbal agreement is that I can copy his art forever. So he gets .... ?
No thanks on the call. I have a terrible cold and talking is difficult.
That essentially is up to you and him as you guys may agree. I guess the issue is what is selling the product your artistic creation or his artistic picture. I know that is hard to quantify but that is really the decision. Since you are doing the bulk of the actual physical making of the product I would think that you would get a larger share but really it is something that you too can agree to. You also need to factor what the cost of the items are to produce as well which would lower the $15
The system automatically ask you for a phone call so that did not come directly from me. We do not need to talk on the phone if you do not want to.
I suspected that's where we are. I hate to insult him with what seems like a paltry sum, but you're right. I do 99% of the work and all the materials, including electricity to fire the wares. I can probably get usable line drawings free online, but we like one another and would like to trade ideas and creativity while perhaps earning a penny or two.
Hey, the first thing I read about this service was that it is free. Then I was asked for a credit card number for a $5 fee. My bank just sent me a notice that I've been charged $42!