I am confused about a citiation i received a while back for…

Customer Question
I am confused about...

I am confused about a citiation i received a while back for a 12500(a)

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I already went to court and I am not sure if I was convicted

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know if I can get it reduced because the company i am looking to work for says it is a MAJOR and i work for them with it on my record

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 day by:
10/1/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Have you checked with the court where you went to court, because only they can tell you if you were convicted? If you paid the ticket then you were convicted.

I have not paid it even though I was ordered to

Thank you for your reply.

Well, it you were ordered to pay the citation, then you were convicted as well. If you have not paid it, you likely have a warrant for your arrest out or at the least they have a suspension issued for non-payment.

If you did not appeal the citation within 30 days of the court ordering you to pay, it is too late to appeal and if you never paid it the court will not accept a motion to vacate the citation or to reduce the citation, because as of right now you are also in contempt of court for failure to pay the citation as ordered. When a court orders you to pay something and you fail to pay or appeal within 30 days, they will not accept any other motions on the case and will not give any further consideration I am afraid and there is no other legal process to do what you want to now do.

Had it been paid up, you could have filed a motion to vacate/reduce and asked the court to vacate the conviction or reduce the conviction and even though it would be something courts rarely do they will do it occasionally for very good cause, but at this point the court will not do so because it is unpaid.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.