I am paying a civil judgment and criminal restitution to the…

Customer Question
I am paying a...

I am paying a civil judgment and criminal restitution to the same "victim". Do courts in TX typically require double payment to the same victim from the same debtor/criminal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I told you, TX

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/29/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Is the criminal restitution based on the same facts as the civil judgment?

In other words, if I pay the criminal restitution, do I get credit for those payments against the civil judgment?

Unfortunately they are considered 2 separate issues;

A plaintiff has a right to sue a defendant for tortious conduct that may or may not result in a criminal conviction; and the State has a right, to impose on a convicted defendant, a restitution order and they are independent of one another.

Nothing in the statute precludes this:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CR/htm/CR.42.htm

Restitution has a different goal than a civil judgment; restitution's goal is to rehabilitate the defendant and deter future criminal conduct. Payment can be directed to the victim or an organization.

Civil judgments are intended to fully compensate plaintiffs for their personal losses; they are completely separate.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: