I have lived with for the past 15 years...he expenses were…

Customer Question
I have lived with...

I have lived with George for the past 15 years...he expenses were shared 50/50..and life tenancy..George has been having health issues for the past 18 months.. His son has acquired power of attorney, and placed his father in an assisted living facility. told him it was only temporary till he recuped....George is still waiting to go to his home....his son told to find me to find a place for myself, as he was planning to sell the house....he has been going thru his father's assets, running out of funds to pay the nursing facility....by the way since, his son bought a home, and suggested I move in the house, while also taking care of George while at the assisted living facility....the bedroom he offered is large enough for an adolescent child...a bed (twin size), night stand, dresser and of course a closet.. My initial reaction was to accept, but am having second thoughts....Do I have any rights to the home I shared with George all these years....

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tampa, fl

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean

Lawyer's Assistant: What confuses you?

I don't know what you mean by has anything been filed...or reported...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

When he asked me to move out last May, he offered to pay me 10,000 dollars....that money is gone.....I have asked for 20,000.....he initially said he would think about...but since he has bought a house, he said that money has been used towards the house.....a month ago I asked for 20,000....he said he would give it to me after the sale of his father's house....I just don't think he will honor that....and I have to place all my belongings in storage....I'm also thinking twice about moving to this cubihole...

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/29/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. generally, if somebody has a life estate, then they do not have to leave the property until they die. This means that they would have control over who lives on the property. In addition, if somebody has a power of attorney, that means that they are able to make financial decisions on behalf of the ward. If you were living there on a month-to-month basis, then the person with the power of attorney has to give you at least 30 days written notice before you have to leave. In your case, it appears as if his son has power of attorney which means that he would be able to make financial decisions including who can live on the property. In this case, this effectively makes him the landlord and he decides to buy you out or evicts you, then there's not much that you can do. Unless you and George were married, and there's really not much legally that you have to stand on right now. I'm very sorry about that. My recommendation would be To look at a buyout. Perhaps if you come up with what a reasonable amount would be for you to store your belongings and find a new place, it might help with the other person sense of fairness and objectivity in meeting your demand.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.