Do you handle Elderlaw questions. New Jersey. A complaint to…

Customer Question
Do you handle Elderlaw...

Do you handle Elderlaw questions

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

A complaint to the ombudsmen office.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't know if my whole message went through before. I got an "our apologies"

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/29/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 10 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

what can I answer for you?

My Grandmother is currently in a nursing home with Medicaid pending. She was Coerced into signing all of her financial over to the facilities third party biller Future Care. We have requested copies of these documents numerous times, even now having POA. She still currently has her Medicare supplemental insurance that she pays for, we were advised from the nursing home that the bills should be submitted to Future Care for payment from her account. Future care has responded with "Hi, we cannot pay this bill until Medicaid gets approved with no penalty and they exempt this on the budget letter. If someone pays it and we get proof once Medicaid gets approved, we can reimburse them. At this point, we have no payer source for her here." I do not understand how this can be. I have already called every agency in NJ possible and they all continue to send me to another agency. What I need to know is, is Future care in the right? If not, which I believe is the case how can we go about this?

The agreement needs to be turned over to her and if she wont seek it or cannot, a poa acting for her. Then, agreements done under duress or fraud can be set aside either by lawyer negotiation or by litigation in court. Normally one would not turn over finances but at most agree to pay bills as they come due and not covered by insurance.

You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
They have not turned the agreements over to the POA after several requests, the responses from future care are just threatening responses " the nursing home legal staff will have all legal remedies taken to recoup any charges not paid for care provided."

Poa can contact their legal department, report to the attorney general, have a lawyer send a letter threatening legal action, and finally can sue to void the arrangement on basis of fraud, duress, unconscionability

How else should we go about requesting copies of these documents? A formal complaint to the Ombudsmen office was made months ago and still nothing.

are my replies acceptable?