About ID requirements: I'm planning to travel this October…

Customer Question
About ID requirements: I'm...

About ID requirements: I'm planning to travel this October 14th with my 79 year old brother who needs a wheelchair. He has not driven in years and his latest driver's license expired in 2013. He also has a passport but that expired in 2011. He also has his birth certificate, a certified copy of his military discharge document (DD Form 214), and a recent bank statement. Are these sufficient to establish his idenity?

Lawyer's Assistant: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina. Thanks for your time on this; Jim H

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not with the TSA -

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/29/2017
Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Does he not have any photo document, even something like a Costco or Sam's membership card?

Since you reviewed my request for more information but did not respond, I will answer your question assuming he does not have any form of current photo identification.

Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Yes, it is still possible for him to travel even with the expired documents.

The TSA officer may ask him to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as his name, current address, and other personal information to confirm his identity. If his identity is confirmed, he will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. He may be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

He will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if his identity cannot be confirmed, he chooses not to provide proper identification or he declines to cooperate with the identity verification process.

TSA recommends that he arrives at least two hours in advance of his flight time.

He should take his expired documents, as well as his birth certificate and his military card, to help this along.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!