Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Ray. We have been Harassed by the same code enforcement

Hi Ray. We have been...
Hi Ray. We have been Harassed by the same code enforcement officer since January 2017. He has a personal vendetta against us. He has made comments about our personal assets (our RV & Boat) such as, "must be nice, I bet those are business vehicles as well." He has fined us for not having a business license or home occupation permit when in fact we did. Every time we follow what he asks of us he fines us for something else or adds more stuff on. He has even gone so far as to tell us to interpret municipal code differently than what is written. He is basically making up his own rules. He is trying to make us remove storage containers that are under the 120 sq. ft. which exempts them from his municipal code permitting requirements. He has gone as far to lie about the floor space on our containers by measuring the outside and not the actual floor space. We have talked with his manager and he has taken his side. WE have talked to the community director and he agrees we are fine, but now the other two code enforcement officers are refusing to follow their superiors decision. They refuse to let us make an appointment with the city manager, mayor, or community director or our city official and they keep calling us back instead every time saying the others do not have time for us. There is so much more detail of their wrong doing toward us. This is an equal protection, civil rights violated, Harassment case. I don't know who to contact or a lawyer that would specialize in this. Both of our neighbors right next door actually are over the 120 sq. ft. on their container, but the city does not fine them because as we and our neighbors believe (they are Mexican). They also actually have multiple municipal code violations, but the code enforcement does nothing to them and only targets us. WE even told the official how come it is ok for our neighbor who is over the 120 sq. ft and in actual violation & not us? He responded that we had to file a complaint otherwise he would do nothing. We will not call on our neighbor, but just feel this man is jealous of our success and wants to ruin that. He has even made comments that we can afford to buy a commercial office with the money we have spent on our boats and RV's. I am lost and feel so overwhelmed and extremely stressed out. It took us 12 years to build this business and this man is trying to destroy everything we built. WE can not afford to get an office. This is a home based carpet cleaning business and it was built on the home based model to be profitable. Even there code for our vans state no more than two vehicles over 3/4 ton or 10,000 pounds trucks. Our vans are 1/2 ton and yes we do have 5, but it does not state we can not have more than 1/2 5,000 pound vans. They are making up there own rules and punishing us and no one else around us. Right up the street there is a uhaul business in a residential home who has 10 U-Haul trucks 2 ton and they don't bother them. Those uhauls are in plain site. Our vans are behind our property line behind a gate and hardly at all visible. WE have a 20 ace open field in front of our home and a private dirt road. We are not disturbing anyone or causing any safety or health hazards. Everyone in our area has large tractors, construction trucks & equipment, ect, but we are the only ones being harassed. WE need legal advice and counsel. These men come out here on weekends to ticket us and call us late at night 7:45pm to harass us. We ask to talk to high officials and those men always call us back instead. We have asked for a different code enforcement officer and the original man still harasses us. Please help me. This business is our life and how we support our family. We don't feel happy or comfortable on our own property and feel we have no rights. These men trespass on our property even with no trespassing signs. WE told them they have to call us so we can make sure we are home and they disregard our wishes. Help!!! I have documentation, pictures, and all supporting evidence of our treatment and how everyone else around us has actual violations, but they are punishing only us and trying to change the verbiage of municipal codes to make us in violation. I have copies of all municipal codes and proof of how we actual are abiding by them. We are being discriminated on because we are white and not Hispanic. Even our own Hispanic neighbors believe this.
9/29/2017
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You are correct that you need a lawyer here.You may need to sue these folks to get them to back off and treat you like all the rest of the public.You can seek damages here including legal fees.

You want a lawyer that deals with building code enforcement and municipalities.
You can call here and the state bar of California will get you one.

Contact the State Bar for Help

This is a terrible thing and amounts to harassment and hassling you, they may be abusing their office .

I appreciate the chance to help you .Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars its is much appreciated.

Ray, Lawyer
Ray, Lawyer