In college (about 5 years ago) I mistakenly bounced a check…

Customer Question
Hello, in college (about...

Hello, in college (about 5 years ago) I mistakenly bounced a check to publix and never took care of it as an irresponsible college student. However, I am looking to rectifying the situation now, but I cannot find any record of the bounced check. What is the best option to resolve?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I cannot find anything civil/criminal when looking up my records

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
9/29/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 7 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You can contact the bank for records. You can contact the creditor and seek to work out a payment plan and settlement.

But I cannot find record of the bad checks anywhere. I have moved around several times since I wrote the checks thus do not have any correspondence through mail from them. I no longer have an account with the bank I used when I wrote the checks. Any place else I can look to see if I have a warrant? or outstanding civil complaint with publix?

If you dont have record of the check, creditor should have it, burden of proof falls on creditor.

Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”

awaiting your reply, thank you

Tina, Lawyer