I am a 61 year old woman who ahs been in a relationship with…

Customer Question
I am a 61...

I am a 61 year old woman who ahs been in a relationship with a man who I felt was mr right after a long courtship he asked me to marry him we told family and friends he bought me a ring and plans were being made to hold a wedding my dress was bought .spent hrs shopping in decorations and got individuals to assist me after he bought me a ring and told everyone we were getting married now he is saying he wants to cancel this I have worked hard for gave him my love and time a full self in all ways I am a MS patient and the emotion damage has made me ill its a great embarrassing horrible time for me . Promised me everything to be his wife and made me feel like a fool in our small town. He knew everything and he has been my whole world with promises made the damage of this emotional and physical. Do I have any legal action on this he has torn my life a The pain and suffering is great for me .

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I was not sure if the state of Tn. recognized this anymore

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Does this exist in tn.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
9/29/2017
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 7 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

Very sorry to hear about what happened. Tennessee (like the majority of states) no longer has laws regarding breach of marriage claims. Therefore, you cannot sue because he suddenly changed his mind about everything.

In terms of the engagement ring, in Tennessee, an engagement ring is considered a conditional gift, which is given in contemplation of marriage. If the anticipated condition does not occur, i.e., if the parties do not get married, then ownership of the ring returns to the individual who gave it in the first place.

This issue was squarely addressed by the Tennessee Court of Appeals in Crippen v. Campbell. There, the Court unequivocally stated:

"In summary, we hold that an engagement ring is given in contemplation of marriage, and, as such, is impliedly a conditional gift. If marriage, for whatever reason, does not ensue, ownership of the ring never vests in the donee and the donor is entitled to the return of the ring… If and when that which the parties contemplated—the marriage—does not occur, the engagement ring goes back to the one who gave it."

Therefore, in Tennessee, when an engagement is called off, no matter what the reason, the engagement ring is property of the donor.

You may be able to bring a lawsuit for emotional distress. While you may be able to sue for emotional distress, these cases can be difficult to win, especially if there is no physical injury accompanying the emotional suffering. Physical injuries produce tangible consequences such as medical expenses or lost wages, for example. Emotional stress can be shown through things like treatment for psychological issues (anxiety, depression, post traumatic stress), or through the manifestation of physical symptoms like ulcers.

Emotional distress cases are typically taken on a contingency basis, meaning if a lawyer did take the case, you would not have to pay fees up front, but instead they would take a percentage of anything awarded.

if all this has sent me to medical drs due to the stress and metal problems i can do nothing/ I have had MS for years he knew that it requires medical treatment and could cause me to relaps and back to a bedfast state

I do apologize for the tardy reply --I did not see notification that you had answered! As I said, you may be able to sue him for emotional distress, but you would have to be able to show that his actions caused you some actual injury. This goes beyond feeling angry or sad or upset, for example. If you can trace injury (post traumatic stress, mental anxiety/depression ulcers, etc) from a result of his actions, you may have a claim.

RobertJDFL, Attorney