I was subcontracted by a general contractor to build

Customer Question
I was subcontracted by...

I was subcontracted by a general contractor to build cabinets for a kitchen job. The job was completed 3 1/2 weeks ago with a balance of $4385, I submitted the bill to the contractor and he has been avoiding me, tonight he offered to pay me $2300, thats all. I want to place a property lien , I never did that before, and see that I also have to serve them a Notice to owner. But... knowing that these are very nice people, and I know they paid the contractor in full, before serving any kind of papers, could I make an appt. with them and discuss the situation?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/29/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

A subcontractor not in direct contract with the owner has 45 days to serve a “Notice to Owner” to all parties involved with the project including the owner, lender, and general contractor from the first day of delivering service. After filing the “Notice to Owner,” the official lien is to be filed within 90 days of the final furnishings of service or 90 days from the termination of the contract between the general contractor and the owner, whichever comes first. You must then serve a copy of the lien within 15 days of filing the document.

After filing the lien, you may also request a sworn statement from the owner describing all contracts, dates, and payments. If the owner does not provide the statement within 30 days, the owner will have no opportunity to recover attorney fees associated with the lien suit.

If you are not within these time frames, under FL law, you cannot file a lien you must file a lawsuit against both the contractor and owner of the property.

You can contact the owner and discuss the matter with them to see if they can coerce the contractor to pay you, but if not you have to follow the time table of the FL law for serving EVERY notice required or your lien would be invalid. If you are out of those time periods, then you need to simply sue the contractor and owner in small claims court without an attorney.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.