I got approved in federal court for disability after many…

Customer Question
I got approved in...

I got approved in federal court for disability after many denials and now they tell me I cannot get SSI because of my husband's income and that I don't have current credits for SSDI because FICA was not taken out for eight of my working years but I worked for many years prior to that and had my credits. Did I go to court and get represented just to get Medicare and tested for SSI?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

You mean did I file for Disability and if so, that was back in 2011 and I was denied, and I appealed and got denied and went to court and got denied and went to federal court two months ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Did I mention I substitute taught from 2001 to 2009 without FICA taken out so this probably counts as no credits but I worked all through the 1980s and 1990s with FICA taken out. I just want to know if this is cut and dry or a special case or if the case was taken to court just to get Medicare and see if my lack of income can get SSI? Otherwise, I am financially screwed.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/29/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

It is not cut and dried you have to correct your earnings record.If you get this corrected you can then contact social security to get it switched to SSDI based on corrected work credits.Step by step to do that

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10081.pdf

You may want to see if there was a problem here, say you worked under maiden name or other issues.

You can correct this you get SSI until you are able to correct the wage history.

Please don't give up here there is still hope.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.I will say a little prayer for you here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.