My question is. my son and 2 of his fraternity brothers

Customer Question
Hi my question is...

Hi my question is. my son and 2 of his fraternity brothers signed a lease thinking they were going it was going to be there frat house. Well they found a place closer to campus and met with the previous guy that they signed the lease with, that they couldn't move in and didn't not have the money he wanting to afford it. they guy told them after they met it was fine and he would get some one else to move. Well a couple of months later he hit them with a lawsuit. Yesterday they went to court and judge ruled in the guy favor and told the boys since it was a group case they would old owe 20,000.00 to the guy. These are college kids with no money is there a way we can get the balance reduced or is there anything we can do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No they judged ruled on it yesterday

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's about it. just need to know where to go from here

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/28/2017
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 10 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Unfortunately, there is nothing that they can do to reduce the amount owed. They can negotiate with the creditor to see if he will accept a payment plan. The only other real option is for them to file bankruptcy. Since they presumably do not have any assets yet, the bankruptcy would discharge the debt and they would not lose anything. This would affect their credit for the short term though. If they choose this course, they should absolutely meet with a bankruptcy attorney in-person to assess the value of this option.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.